Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Short Story Series #5: The Lottery

#5: The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

Think of the Hunger Games... but no fight and no reason.

This was the first time I had ever read "The Lottery," although I had heard of it before. The story dumbfounded me; as soon as I finished reading it I said aloud to myself, "WHAT?" I was not entirely sure of what had happened, so I searched the internet for an explanation, and I found one. I could not believe that these people chose someone randomly, someone who was their friend, and stoned them to death. Some aspects, mainly the lottery itself, reminded me of the reaping in Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games. Shortly thereafter, I found myself questioning Shirley Jackson's sanity, which brought me back to Suzanne Collins. Who decides to sit down one day and pen a story about the random drawing of a name which results in death? The poor family lost their mother, the poor town had to live with the guilt of killing their friend. The fact that they saw nothing wrong with any of this astounded me. I would love to sit down and talk with Shirley Jackson about her....inspiration for "The Lottery." Who know what I could discover? Maybe a tortured soul, a certifiable loon, or just a woman who wanted a little excitement in her life.

I believe that Shirley Jackson subtly used symbolism throughout "The Lottery." I would like to jump around a bit, as I feel that later symbols complete earlier ones. First I would like to touch on the single black dot. The dot symbolized the stones, which therefore means the dot symbolized death. Jackson wastes no time adding a deeper meaning to it. Everything is laid out plainly to understand. Second, the box symbolizes waiting and the "clock of life" ticking down. It's hard to believe I am saying this but I believe I can tie the story to the 2000 movie, Gladiator. You see, throughout the film, Russell Crowe's character, Maximus, is searching for a way to kill the emperor because he feels that he cannot join his family in the afterlife until that deed has been done for the betterment of Rome. A door is seen throughout the film, and at the end, when he finally dies, he can pass through the door into the afterlife. The door in the movie is the box in the story.

It is hard to take a liking to any of the characters in the story, so I think I will go with my favorite being the third person narrator. I had known the narrator would be a nameless third person, as my teacher had said it would be. But you cannot take a liking or disliking nor can you take a judgment toward the narrator because you do not know him. He may be a bystander or someone in a later time retelling the days of the Lottery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment